Travelling to different countries entails discovering the other part of the world that your country never offers and the difference in these countries you head to. You probably are used to the foods you have back home and yes some strange foods in other countries may not be good to your health. However on the other hand, some foreign foods are worth a try that is a trick of adventure.
When travelling to Uganda, whether on self drive car rental or guided trips, keeping our clients healthy during their trip is a priority at Auto Rental Uganda, but as you know safety comes first you keep yourself safe as we do our best on keeping it up. Most of the people from western countries are either Vegans, vegetarians’ or both which is not the case here in Uganda. We mix all the foods and eat it at the same time. Have you tried the African traditional LUWOMBO with Auto Rental Uganda? I would definitely say you are missing out something about the real Uganda
Good thing to do you should inform your service provider about your diet and how you want it to be. We may be able to eat all the beef, sea food and veggies but we still consider people’s choice and command and if someone does not take it we take the liberty to give you that choice that perfectly suites you.
Beef is the delicacy in Uganda. You find it in most restaurants you go. Mixed in different soups, dried, BBq and snacks, chicken, nuts, beans and veggies are the most seen soups in restaurants.
Our team are trained in how to shop and cook for those travelling with food allergies or intolerances. Just in case you go camping alone, packing some food that stays longer is a great idea however Uganda is gifted with lots of fresh food that you absolutely can buy along the way. Who on an adventure wouldn’t love interacting with the food sellers and visit the markets? Wouldn’t that be an added advantage to go shopping in the markets? Alternatively you can buy everything you need for camping and you don’t need to stop shopping. It will save you time but you definitely will miss something interesting about these African markets. Talk to our Uganda car rental reservation team and they will push to help you with the shopping in and around the malls and markets so you be set on your self-drive in Uganda or guided tour.
Here’s some facts to follow when shopping.
- If in doubt about what is stated on a label DO NOT buy or use it
- Wherever possible avoid local restaurants even if there clearly menu items that meet the dietary requirements due to cross contamination issues. Use specific restaurants recommended to you. You can make special orders just if you’re allergic and can have the exact meal for you.
- When shopping and buying food products always ask if something has gluten or any other thing you may or may not want. Alternatively read carefully on the food packs.
- Keep it fresh and unprocessed. In Uganda we usually eat fresh, try it out and see. Enter the market and buy only fresh food that you can be sure off. Good thing is you find many markets around Uganda as you travel up-countries. And yes, you can use it as an opportunity to visit the local markets which everybody raves about
- There are certain items that are easily contaminated like jars of jam, mayonnaise, butter, jellies and other spreads. Make sure you keep them clean for those with allergies and intolerances.
To be on the safe side while camping or eating in restaurants be clear on what you want, or ask for assistance on shopping before you start your trip. One of our team members at Auto Rental Uganda is more than happy to help you find and shop for just the right food stuffs.Read More