Known as the pearl of Africa, it is one of the most beautiful countries to visit on planet earth. Uganda is gifted by many things but the most attractive thing that one shouldn’t miss before living planet earth is to go gorilla trekking in Uganda’s national parks of Bwindi and Mgahinga national parks. Not only gorillas, the country is well-known for a wide range of bird species, wild animals and in them it harbor’s the rear type of lions that do climb trees found in the ishasah sector of Queen Elizabeth National Park. The country is also good for cultural tours, good scenic grounds, beaches and a city where people never sleep with night clubs.
With all those gifts she owes, many people all over the world would like to have a visit to this beautiful country but many people find it hard to decide whether to go on a guide or self drive Uganda tour. Would I like to travel with a guide or by our self? It is important to make an informed decision. Here are the differences between guided and self-drive trips, making it easier for you to decide what to choose. Please bear in mind, however, that choosing a self-drive trip doesn’t mean that you are completely on your own. Our office in Uganda is available to assist you at all times and, even on self-drive trips, a lot of the activities recommend by us such as game drives in parks are guided, in order to give you the best possible experience.
- A self-drive trip is cheaper because you don’t pay a daily rate for the guide or for his/her accommodation and food. Your choice of vehicle will also make a difference in the overall cost of a self-drive trip. While guided trips can be more expensive as you will have to pay for the guide but the overall cost per person depends on the number of people included in your party. For example, a guided trip will be more expensive for a one to two persons than for a group of six people and above.
- On a self-drive trip you drive yourself. This might sound appealing but remember that the one who drives has to keep his/her eyes on the road and can’t enjoy the scenery and he will get more tired than the rest. While on a guided trip, everyone in your group is free to relax and enjoy the scenery as your guide drives you around
- On a self-drive trip you don’t have the luxury of asking a guide to explain certain things, animals or birds, leaving a lot of questions unanswered. While the main advantage of a guided trip may be the fact that you can, at any time, ask your guide questions, allowing you to learn a lot about this amazing country, its beautiful nature and interesting culture here in Uganda.
- You may think you’ll have a lot more privacy or ‘together time’ on a self-drive trip. This will undoubtedly be the case, however, even on a guided tour we can schedule enough ‘alone time’. While it is a misconception that guided tours grant you no privacy. Our guide also needs this! Therefore, we always try to strike a balance. Basically, the guide is at your disposal when required but he will at regular occasions allow you to enjoy an evening of private dining at a restaurant or an afternoon to yourselves.
- It is equally a mistake to think that you have no guide during your self-drive trip. Most of the activities we recommend and book for you are led by a guide. In your quote, we will clearly indicate which activities are guided and which are not. Remember, however, that we cannot guarantee the quality of these guides. Some of these guides are very good but some, unfortunately, are disinterested, unintelligible, don’t speak proper English or simply do not know very much. While on a guided tour, even if you undertake guided activities organised by the accommodation establishment and with a local guide, our guide is available to offer additional explanations, which with no doubt guarantee the quality of your experience. Hence once again you will be in the perfect position to enjoy and learn optimally about the culture and nature.
- On a self-drive trip you are at some destinations responsible for your own game drives. This means relying on your own skill, as well as luck. This could result in either not seeing many animals or seeing an animal but not knowing what it is or what it’s doing. You can arm yourself with books for your self-drive trip, this increases the cost as well as your luggage. While another major advantage of a guided trip, particularly on game drives, it is his expertise when it comes to wildlife. You simply have a much greater chance of seeing more animals with a guide than driving through the park by yourself. Our guides know where to find certain animals, what to look out for, are able to recognise and follow tracks, detect sounds, and so on. And when the guide has found an animal, he can tell you a lot about it. But this should be put in mind that national parks are not like Zoos were you will just find the animal I the cadge. So if you miss out seeing some animals do not complain..
- Finding your way around while on a self-drive trip is not a problem because with Tailor Made Safaris you not only get a detailed itinerary but we also supply you with a TomTom satellite navigation system at an additional cost for the duration of your trip. All destinations on your trip are pre-programmed into the system, making driving around by yourself easy and hassle-free. This service puts Tailor Made Safaris head and shoulders above its competitors! While it goes without saying that on a guided trip you do not have to worry about finding your way around. Your private guide ensures that you always arrive at your destination on time and without rushing, taking into account your wishes along the way. If you want to stop and take a picture of the scenery on the way, that is possible too! After all, this is your tailor made safari!
- On your Uganda self drive trip there’s no need to worry about keeping in touch. Tailor Made Safaris includes a Ugandan SIM card for the duration of your trip, allowing you to easily make cheap phone calls as and when you need to. As part of our service to self-drive guests, we regularly send you text messages with advice, or to make sure everything is to your liking. All part of the Tailor Made Safaris service… For the guided, our guides take care of your safety during a guided trip. There is always a very small chance of something going wrong; a double booking on site, a defect in the car, or you ate something bad; anything is possible. In the unfortunate event of something like this happening, you can always rely on the expertise and responsibility of your guide who will take care of the problem.
With this information or differences, one will be able to decide whether to take a self drive or guided tour in Uganda.Read More
When going for a safari to either Uganda or Rwanda, one needs to decide which type of car he/she wants to use. In most cases tourists ask us this question when they inquire for their safaris to either Uganda or Rwanda or even both and we go on and advice. But it’s always a good practice to make your own choice so that you can have the best experience on the safari without any inconveniences related to the car used. Choosing the type of car to hire depends on what type tourism activity you are going to do and the number of people you are travelling with. Sometimes clients inquire with us and they want small cars yet they are many in number. We always advise them to go for bigger cars like vans which can accommodate their number. It’s always good to travel with a classic touch and freedom other than travelling while congested in a small car. Small cars like saloons and small Benz’s are suitable to use if clients are 2 or 3 but not more than that as it would mean to squeeze yourself which is not good.
The distance to be travelled and the destination that you want to go to is also important while selecting the type 0f car to hire in Uganda. If you know that you are travelling for longer distances and to places which are challenging with undulating topologies and hills, then the best type of car to hire is that with a 4×4 wheel drive system. This is because 4×4 cars can penetrate through muddy roads and hills without any problem and without getting stuck. Sometimes people make wrong choices and they go with cars which are not full time 4×4 and they end up getting stuck in muddy roads forcing them to hire another towing car to remove them from the mud. This is bad as it leads to increase in the expenses. The only way to avoid this is by hiring a 4×4 wheel drive car which cannot easily get stuck in such conditions.
It should be noted that both Uganda and Rwanda have some places with bad roads and this is common in national parks especially in Uganda where there are animals to be viewed. Such parks require 4×4 cars for a game drive experience .safari vehicles like 4×4 land cruisers with a popup roof are the best cars to use for a successful game drive. In case one needs to go for a town-running (driving around the town) then he/she can book these other cars which have no 4×4 system because roads in all urban places kin both Uganda and Rwanda are in good conditions and no threat is imposed to the user.
When you book with us we always ask you what you intend to use the car for and we give advice when it comes to choosing the type of car to use. Some clients seem to be complicated and ignore our advise because they think roads in Uganda and Rwanda are like those in their home countries and they end up making mistakes which are regrettable. And at the end of their safari they regret why they ignored our advice.
In conclusion, you should always put in mind two factor before selecting which type of car to use and that is;- the destination you are going to and the number of people you are travelling with.Read More
It’s always good to go on a safari and come back when satisfied, why not this time enjoy your safari by hiring a self-drive car from us? Those who have done it find it magnificent; they still have memories that will last forever. When driving yourself you have a lot of freedom and you are free to drive at your own pace, and you are free to stop at any area of interest. So this time explore Uganda in style with a genuine car rental company contact us on (email@example.com). Let nothing stand on your way, navigate the beautiful pearl of Africa which is gifted with 10 national parks and a number of game reserve each with unique incredible wildlife. We have a variety of vehicles that can fit your budget and the number of people you are traveling with at a very friendly price including a Toyota Rav4 suitable from 1-4 members, we hire it at USD$ 50 per day without a driver, supper custom and van with a pop-up roof good for big group like 8 members we hire it at $95 per day with a driver suitable for wildlife viewing , Toyota land cruiser, we have short which can carry 5 members we hire at 100 per day without a driver and a Toyota land cruiser extended can carry up to 9 members including a driver we hire them at USD $150 per day this with driver comfortably and have enough leg space and leg room, plus enough luggage space. For a big size from 25-30 members, we have a coaster. All our cars are well maintained with air conditioners, enough space for luggage, cooler box, camping gears and GPS if requested. We are located at Najjanamkumbi opposite Kenjoy supermarket.
We let you enjoy your-self depending on your itinerary and the number of days you wish to stay on safari , however if you need a driver we have them and they are well experienced and they know each and every corner of the country. Either you rent for a safari, cooperate meetings, parties, at 4×4 Uganda car hire we have a variety of cars that fits your destination.
Ounce you hire a car for a safari Uganda has a number of things to see, you can track/trek the endangered mountain gorillas in Bwindi national park, wildlife is also superb, you can view wild animals in Queen impenetrable national park, Murchison falls national park or lake Mburo and Kidepo valley national park. Or you can trek the primates in kibale forest national. Birding safaris are also rewarding. Why not white water rafting at the source of the Nile, or mountaineering at the Mount Rwenzori and Elgon, so enjoying one of these activities on a Uganda safari on a self-drive safari won’t leave you the same. Ounce you book with us we can also advice you on the best car to use depending on your destination and the number of people you are travelling with and also we can also help you in drafting your safari itinerary to make you enjoy effetely.Read More
Travelling to different countries entails discovering the other part of the world that your country never offers and the difference in these countries you head to. You probably are used to the foods you have back home and yes some strange foods in other countries may not be good to your health. However on the other hand, some foreign foods are worth a try that is a trick of adventure.
When travelling to Uganda, whether on self drive car rental or guided trips, keeping our clients healthy during their trip is a priority at Auto Rental Uganda, but as you know safety comes first you keep yourself safe as we do our best on keeping it up. Most of the people from western countries are either Vegans, vegetarians’ or both which is not the case here in Uganda. We mix all the foods and eat it at the same time. Have you tried the African traditional LUWOMBO with Auto Rental Uganda? I would definitely say you are missing out something about the real Uganda
Good thing to do you should inform your service provider about your diet and how you want it to be. We may be able to eat all the beef, sea food and veggies but we still consider people’s choice and command and if someone does not take it we take the liberty to give you that choice that perfectly suites you.
Beef is the delicacy in Uganda. You find it in most restaurants you go. Mixed in different soups, dried, BBq and snacks, chicken, nuts, beans and veggies are the most seen soups in restaurants.
Our team are trained in how to shop and cook for those travelling with food allergies or intolerances. Just in case you go camping alone, packing some food that stays longer is a great idea however Uganda is gifted with lots of fresh food that you absolutely can buy along the way. Who on an adventure wouldn’t love interacting with the food sellers and visit the markets? Wouldn’t that be an added advantage to go shopping in the markets? Alternatively you can buy everything you need for camping and you don’t need to stop shopping. It will save you time but you definitely will miss something interesting about these African markets. Talk to our Uganda car rental reservation team and they will push to help you with the shopping in and around the malls and markets so you be set on your self-drive in Uganda or guided tour.
Here’s some facts to follow when shopping.
- If in doubt about what is stated on a label DO NOT buy or use it
- Wherever possible avoid local restaurants even if there clearly menu items that meet the dietary requirements due to cross contamination issues. Use specific restaurants recommended to you. You can make special orders just if you’re allergic and can have the exact meal for you.
- When shopping and buying food products always ask if something has gluten or any other thing you may or may not want. Alternatively read carefully on the food packs.
- Keep it fresh and unprocessed. In Uganda we usually eat fresh, try it out and see. Enter the market and buy only fresh food that you can be sure off. Good thing is you find many markets around Uganda as you travel up-countries. And yes, you can use it as an opportunity to visit the local markets which everybody raves about
- There are certain items that are easily contaminated like jars of jam, mayonnaise, butter, jellies and other spreads. Make sure you keep them clean for those with allergies and intolerances.
To be on the safe side while camping or eating in restaurants be clear on what you want, or ask for assistance on shopping before you start your trip. One of our team members at Auto Rental Uganda is more than happy to help you find and shop for just the right food stuffs.Read More